Spring, distilled, reverse osmosis, alkaline, sparkling, mineral…how can there be so many different types of something as simple as water? The process H2O is subjected to is the primary determinant of its classification. However, in cases such as mineral water, it is a matter of the source and the elements found in the finished product.
What is mineral water?
The FDA definition is water from a protected underground source that contains 250 parts per million of dissolved solids. Anything less than this, from the same type of origin, would be deemed spring water. Logically, the dissolved solids, in this case, are minerals such as calcium, zinc, magnesium, silica, sodium, and sulfur.
Mineral water has been admired for centuries for the many health benefits it has to offer. So much that it was typical to travel far distances to drink and bathe in the nutrient-rich water. Now we prefer more accessibility to mineral water, if not on our local grocery store shelves then delivered to our door. There are many reasons why it is good to drink mineral water, and you should be drinking it too, here are a few.
12 reasons to love mineral water
- The abundant presence of naturally occurring minerals provides a distinctive taste. Also, most mineral waters are carbonated for additional drinking pleasure.
- It is an easy way to increase the number of minerals and nutrients you consume in a day.
- There are no calories in mineral water.
- Sparkling versions of mineral water are bottled at an optimal pH level for your body thanks to the presence of sodium bicarbonate.
- The increased level of magnesium has been shown to lower blood pressure in those who drink a moderate amount of mineral water each day.
- The magnesium and calcium found in mineral water, in addition to the increased liquid consumption can help to reduce the formation of kidney stones.
- Sparkling mineral water may make you feel fuller. Usually, this is for a short period but, long enough to skip a snack.
- Women can enjoy stronger bones thanks to amping up the calcium they consume.
- Sulfates can increase your metabolism and can be found in most mineral waters.
- It is an excellent source of potassium which leads to improved memory and alertness.
- It is an anti-inflammatory and may help to suppress swelling in joints.
- Carbonated mineral water is a superior alternative to soda and provides a stepping stone for those trying to kick the habit!
There are many benefits of drinking mineral water, but the type of water you choose to drink should be determined by the one you like best. With the unique taste and refreshing fizz, I am willing to bet that San Pellegrino or Perrier sparkling water are bound to make that list!
247total visits,1visits today